Have you ever been asked to install the plugins to view the content on any application or on any website? Probably not, right…? at least not in past few years. Do you know why? It’s all because of pre-eminent technology advancement including hybrid apps and HTML5.
If you don’t have the reasons to start using HTML5 and Hybrid Frameworks to develop your mobile application then simply put, in this blog I will explore each and every important aspect of HTML5 and Hybrid Frameworks that are essential.
The Storyteller – STATISTICS:
Before understanding the importance of HTML5 and hybrid app development, let us pay some attention to the statistics.
According to a report on Statista:
1. The number of mobile phone users around the world is expected to reach 4.68 billion by 2019.
2. In 2016, 62.9% of the entire population on the globe had a mobile phone. In 2014 it was reported that 38% of users were smartphone users and this number is expected to touch 50% mark in the current year of 2018.
3. The same report says that the number of smartphone users is expected to reach 2.7 billion in 2019.
1. There has been more than 7% increase in the number of internet users since January 2017 and mobile users have also seen a massive increment of more than 4% since January 2017.
2. The Share of web traffic on mobile devices is maximum and has shown a growth rate of more than 4% since last year.
These are some of the very eminent reports which found my attention. Now, here lies the real query that why am I telling these things to you? This is because these statistics and reports show how fast the mobile market is expanding. Seeing this growth rate, companies are now more attracted towards the mobile market to target maximum business.
They are now investing a lot of efforts in the latest trends to get the maximum profits. Now let us discuss the real challenges that come in the absence of HTML5 and Hybrid Frameworks.
Challenge of Mobile business without HTML5 and Hybrid Apps:
This really sounds good to target the maximum customers on mobile devices, but, this has one obstacle or you can say a bottleneck that can slow the pace of the business and that problem is the prevalence of many mobile operating systems.
These are the challenges that are common without the use of HTML5 and Hybrid apps:
1. Different operating systems need the usage of different languages which the device platforms support.
2. Developers and Testers need to have a vast skill set to handle all the requirements and to work on different languages.
3. There is a separate need to release updates for different operating systems.
4. Using various resources make the applications expensive.
5. A time-consuming process as the developers need to work on two or more platforms such as Android, iOS, Blackberry, and Windows.
These challenges are very painful for the companies because it is required to hold their position in the market and at the same time, they need to spend a lot of money on maintaining the skill set of the company as well. From the developers and testers point of view also, there is a huge burden of tasks with multiple operations at the same time to actually deliver the quality product in a given time frame for all the platforms.
Now, what is the solution then? Is it some kind of common standard? Or any language? Or you might be thinking that it must be a completely different framework then? Right?
So much of queries going on in the mind, but what is the real answer to the problems? It is nothing but the usage of HTML5. That’s it. Nothing so heavy to learn and nothing so complex. In the following section, I will tell you that why HTML5 is important and what is its essence to use in the mobile apps.
Why HTML5 is important in mobile application development:
You might be thinking, Why HTML5? Even I also got this query in my mind until I discovered the huge benefits and importance of HTML5 in mobile application development.
It becomes more essential when HTML5 is implemented in the Hybrid app development using various frameworks. Facing all the challenges of the mobile app development HTML5 provides extremely good solutions such as:
1. Write-once-run-anywhere: functionality which adds a great relief to the developers and the companies to distribute the code easily as compared to the native app.
2. Clear and improved code: is available for developers and web designers. Usage of repeated div tags can now be replaced by semantic HTML elements such as <section>, <canvas>, <nav>, <header>, <footer> etc.
3. Enhanced and Elegant Forms: is another great feature of HTML5 that enables the developers and web designers to give feature rich forms. Input types such as number, date/datetime, color, range, URL, email, and tel are available to simplify the jobs.
4. Support of rich media elements: such as audio and video make HTML5 a great advantage. You can bid adieu to the old day’s feature of plugins on a website for the more user-friendly experience.
5. Support of Offline Application Cache: loads those pages that were visited by the user even if he or she is temporarily offline. This makes the files to load much faster than ever expected.With these solutions, HTML5 has many advantages over native apps. You get the advantage of not installing the updates of the apps every now and then to just enjoy the latest features.
Majorly, the mobile app development happens with the help of many frameworks that are available in the market. But, hey, don’t you think that something is missing in between? Yes, it is indeed. I am talking about Hybrid Applications.
So, let us first know why Hybrid apps are important?
Why Hybrid apps are important:
Although HTML5 has great features and app development using HTML5 is taking a good pace these days but in some measures, it is still lagging behind the native apps when compared to the performance parameter. Some of the features that HTML5 is still struggling with are:
1. Smooth integration with built-in mobile components (GPS, Cameras etc.).
2. Offline storage
4. Multi-touch gestures
Well, HTML5 is so feature-full and Native apps also have their own advantages then which path to go? In this dilemma, there is one answer and that is to combine the features of these two. What will it generate then? It’s not tough to answer now, yes, it will be called a Hybrid app.
This helps in overcoming all the struggles of HTML5 that are mentioned above. Hybrid apps can resolve the major challenges and problems that a native app and an HTML5 app struggles with. These apps can be implemented in the device through Local and the Server.
This makes Hybrid apps important. Since there are features of both the types, hence, it makes hybrid apps very much important and they definitely define the future mobile app development standards.
So, its time for the final part, the importance of the hybrid mobile app development frameworks. I will now explain why the hybrid mobile development frameworks are important.
Why Hybrid Frameworks are important:
A framework is a special software that is designed to support the mobile or web application development. Frameworks come in a large number which offer different features and functionalities according to the needs of the development tasks.
Why frameworks are needed?
1. They make the tasks easy with pre-defined features.
2. They provide the best use of resources.
3. They help in taking a specific approach with less code writing.
4. They provide the inbuilt tools to use.
5. They provide a great response time.
6. They take less memory.
Adding to your bonus, here are some of the popular Hybrid Frameworks that are available in the market:
1. Framework 7:
Image Source: https://phonegap.com/blog/2015/11/30/framework7/
Framework 7 is an essential Hybrid mobile application development framework which is open-sourced and free to use. Its special feature is that it doesn’t have any external dependency like other hybrid frameworks. It uses a lot of animation.
3. Onsen UI:
It is one of the new Hybrid App Development frameworks but has gained the popularity in a very short span of time. It is open sourced and licensed under Apache.
PhoneGap is one of the most popular application development frameworks. It is used by many experienced developers around the world. It provides robust and fully customizable features. It is also open-sourced and is free to use. It allows developers to add plugins to provide more functionalities.
5. React Native:
So, these are some of the major Hybrid App Development frameworks. Some other frameworks involve Xamarin, Sencha Touch, Intel XDX, Kendo UI and JQuery Mobile which also provide similar features for hybrid mobile application development.
In this blog, I have tried to cover the importance of the HTML5 and Hybrid Frameworks that are needed for the next level of application development. In between, I have also explained what hybrid applications are and why they are essential.
Habilelabs work upon high standards to make great hybrid applications for its clients. It is rich with the resources to help the client to expand his business on the mobile market. Give us a call to find out more about our awesome services!
I hope this blog makes you understand why HTML5 and Hybrid Frameworks are important for mobile application development.
For any queries feel free to ask in the comments section and do share your thoughts about the blog.